“Not Yet”

Image by S K from Pixabay

“Imagine, Create, Play, Share, Reflect and back to Imagine”, the kindergarten approach for learning discussed in Resnick’s (2007) paper is applicable not only to the students we teach but to teachers themselves, especially within the transition from face-to face to online teaching currently happening due to the COVID-19 crisis. This ties in perfectly with “The power of yet” discussed by Dweck (2014) in the TED Talk, “The power of believing that you can improve”.

This week and in the coming weeks, teachers have been put out of their comfort zone into a new and challenging situation where they can fall to the “tyranny of now” discussed by Dweck or they can use the words, also stated by Dueck of, “not yet”.  We are not there yet, but we can imagine, create, play, share, reflect and then imagine again. We will get there, or maybe we won’t (yet), but continuing to work towards solutions to the “wicked problem” teachers face, will lead to new ideas, lead to improvements and lead to new connections.  Additionally, students who see teachers modelling a “not yet” approach to teaching, may begin to also say “not yet”.  Changing mindsets from I’ll never figure this out and I’m not smart enough and I can’t do this to I’m working on it and it is hard, but I’m going to keep working on it and I can get there, but I’m not there yet may be the most important thing we could ever teach our students.

Resnick, M. (2007). All I really need to know (about creative thinking) I learned (by studying how children learn) in kindergarten. In Proceedings of the 6th ACM SIGCHI conference on Creativity & Cognition (pp. 1–6). New York, NY, USA: ACM. http://dor.org/10.1145/1254960.1254961

Dweck, C.[TED]. (2014, November). The power of believing you can improve. [Video]Retrieved from URL https://www.ted.com/talks/carol_dweck_the_power_of_believing_that_you_can_improve